Monday, January 18, 2010

ELI

We went and saw the Book of Eli last Saturday. If you haven't seen it, I would recommend it. It makes you think about a few things, at least it did me. Just a little about the plot of the movie. It is set 30 years after a war that has destroyed most of the Earth. After the war people blamed the bible and burned almost all of them. Eli found the last one and was told by God to head west with it. Well he did this. The movie is about the last part of this journey. Every day Eli would read the bible and eventually memorized it. For most of the movie he protects this last bible at all costs. Eventually he has to choose between the book and a friend he has met along the way. If he doesn't give up the bible she will be killed. He chooses to give it up, realizing he doesn't need it anymore because it is inside of him. Also realizes that he hasn't been living up to it. As Eli says he should be treating others better than you treat yourself. In the end the Word is saved through Eli as he recites to someone who writes it down and prints it.

So why did this make me think? For one to have this kind of faith. To just head west not knowing where you are going. That is the faith of Abraham. He totally trusted in God. Also having a relationship with God like that, reading the bible everyday and letting God take over your life. Truly living out the Bible, meditating on it every moment of the day and knowing it by heart, having it in your heart. Why can't I live like that. Maybe I haven't become desperate enough. Eli had nothing else. Everything he knew was gone. Everyone he loved was gone. Did that open him up to God? Probably. We all can be like Eli though, we just have to want to be. God wants this relationship with us. He wants to take care of us and look after us. He wants to use us. We just have to open our self to Him. Get to know Him better. WE NEED TO TRUST HIM. That is why it made me think. Could I do this, do I have this faith. I came to the conclusion that I don't know. I would like to think so. I do know I need to get closer to God and to let Him in my life more. I need him to weed the garden that is my heart. MAY GOD BLESS YOU 'TILL NEXT TIME.


HIS HUMBLE SERVANT

No comments: